Go Shop -» -»
Linzer Mariendom - Construction plans were started in 1855 by Bishop Franz-Josef Rudigier. The first stone was laid on 1 May 1862—an event solemnised by the performance of Anton Bruckner's Festive Cantata Preiset den Hern.
In 1924 Bishop Johannes Maria Gföllner consecrated the finished building as the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The plans, drawn by the master builder of the Archdiocese of Cologne, Vincenz Statz, were made in the French high Gothic style.
With 20,000 seats, the cathedral is the largest (130 meters long, and the ground 5,170 square meters), but not the highest, church in Austria. The originally-planned, higher spire was not approved, because in Austria-Hungary at the time, no building was allowed to be taller than the South Tower of the St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. At 135 m, the New Cathedral is two meters shorter than the Viennese cathedral.
© 2017 - Nöstler Photo
Mpixels (56.8 MB uncompressed) - 3859x5146 pixels (12.8x17.1 in / 32.7x43.6 cm at 300 ppi)
stained glass window