Go Shop -» -»
Mahnmal St. Nikolai
The Church of St. Nicholas was a Gothic Revival cathedral that was formerly one of the five Lutheran Hauptkirchen (main churches) in the city of Hamburg, Germany. The original chapel, a wood building, was completed in 1195. It was replaced by a brick church in the 14th century, which was eventually destroyed by fire in 1842. The church was completely rebuilt by 1874, and was the tallest building in the world from 1874 to 1876.
The bombing of Hamburg in World War II destroyed the bulk of the church. The removal of the rubble left only its crypt, its site and tall-spired tower, largely hollow save for a large set of bells. These ruins continue to serve as a memorial and an important architectural landmark.
© 2019 - Nöstler Photo
Mpixels (47.7 MB uncompressed) - 5000x3333 pixels (16.6x11.1 in / 42.3x28.2 cm at 300 ppi)
Gothic Revival cathedral
The Church of St. Nicholas