Go Shop -» -»
The current Hay's Wharf Buildings were constructed in 1856 by Sir William Cubitt on the site of the 18th century wharf. Hay's Wharf was one of the earliest complexes to incorporate fireproofing, using incombustible floors of brick arches on cast iron beams. The wharf handled all cargoes except tobacco, but specialised in provisions and tea. In the 1860's the use of cold storage was pioneered here and the area became known as "London's Larder". 75% of the bacon, butter, cheese and canned meat needed for London was stored here.
© 2016 - Nöstler Photo
Mpixels (22.9 MB uncompressed) - 2448x3264 pixels (8.1x10.8 in / 20.7x27.6 cm at 300 ppi)