Go Shop -» -»
Frederik's Church - known as The Marble Church is an Evangelical Lutheran church.
The church was designed by the architect Nicolai Eigtved in 1740 and was along with the rest of Frederiksstaden, a district of Copenhagen, intended to commemorate the 300 years jubilee of the first coronation of a member of the House of Oldenburg.
The foundation stone was set by king Frederick V on October 31, 1749, but the construction was slowed by budget cuts and the death of Eigtved in 1754. The church was left incomplete and, in spite of several initiatives to complete it, stood as a ruin for nearly 150 years. The church was finally opened to the public on August 19, 1894.
Frederick's Church has the largest church dome in Scandinavia with a span of 31m. The dome rests on 12 columns. The inspiration was probably St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.
Inscribed in gold lettering on the entablature of the front portico are the words: HERRENS ORD BLIVER EVINDELIG "the word of the Lord endure for ever."
© 2019 - Nöstler Photo
Mpixels (46.8 MB uncompressed) - 4952x3301 pixels (16.5x11.0 in / 41.9x27.9 cm at 300 ppi)
evangelical lutheran church